Friday, August 07, 2009

Ready, Set, Go! The Value of Writing LIsts



I leave for Montreal very early on Monday morning and will return on Friday evening. Before I go, I'll spend time with the Viking. Maybe we will go to some Blues Festival events, if the weather isn't miserable. There are lots of things I'd like to do and places I'd like to visit while I'm in Montreal, but I'm not making a list and will decide on my itinerary based on the weather, and my energy level, and how my knees hold out. (That reminds me - I need to look for a gentle exercise class when I return.) In any event, if it rains on Tuesday, I'll make that my museum visit day. Packing will take place the night before I leave, but I do know what's going into the suitcase.

It's wonderful to get out of town, even if it might be 'dangerous'. That's the word a neighbour used when I said I was going to Montreal, alone. She also said, "you're brave." Either I look older and more fragile than I am, or she was worried about Montreal drivers who have a reputation for running into pedestrians. I assured her I would be careful, and indeed, I will. I also plan to enjoy the city and all that it offers. Old Montreal, the museums, the food, the unique atmosphere, the elan of les Quebecois , and did I mention? - the food - seafood, tortiere, bagels, Montreal smoked meat, and whatever else appeals to me. I'd better do a LOT of walking, or I'll return thicker rather than thinner, but if the universe is kind, that won't matter, because I'll have had a marvellous, memorable time.

Going on a trip gives me the opportunity to do a 'restart' when I return. That's why I have a two writing lists posted where I can see them. The first one shows all of my short stories, the magazines they've been sent to in the past - and of course the results. The second list, which I composed this morning, shows the stories that need to be sent out again. A while back, in late spring, I made a similar list (stories to send out), posted it up where I could see it and it worked. I sent those stories out. Then there were multiple crises, including some I can't mention in my blog, and I admit, I had great difficulty in focusing on anything but the troubles. But now, ah now, I have a new list and it is posted on my wonderful new-to-me very large, cork bulletin board. It's a double-sided board and notes for my novel are on the other side. I've been thinking a lot about 'Jennie Carriere' and I'm sure my visit to Montreal will help me with that, too.



5 comments:

Falcata Times said...

Wow, could you post pics of how you organise yourself D, I really need to see how others manage it so that I can find a way of getting things figured out on my own.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a change and a rest to get those creative juices flowing again. Have a great trip, Diane - and yes, be safe.

Pam.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. Oh, seafood!! Yum!

Have fun in the 'brave' world of Montreal. It's good to hit the restart button every once in awhile.

J.A. Campbell said...

Oh, excellent. Enjoy the trip. I hope it provides much refreshment and writing material.

dbreynolds said...

I'm a big believer in lists, but not when it comes to writing or travel. My traveling lists are limited to things I don't want to forget to do before I leave and/or take with me when I go. And that's it. After that, the joy of travel is going with the flow.

Have fun in Montreal. It's on my list of places to visit before I die! LOL